Sunday 15 May 2016

Keeping Fit Is Work In A Tech Age. Whew!

Keeping fit in a tech age is easy and yet very challenging, as their are gadgets and equipments and info and apps that help you stay fit, as well as work and bills and TV and other gadgets that don't let us use our energy as much any more. Nice! But how many do take advantage of these technologies available to stay fit?
And talking about staying fit, I don't mean just working out to show off those chiseled six packs. That's nice too but beyond that, staying healthy, eating right, working out at the gym, practicing healthy habits like good rest and posture, setting fitness goals for one's self and all that.

Of course with life in this fast age, there's barely any time to do all that. Or at least that's what I like to tell myself. I mean I set a certain time in the mornings when I'm supposed to have my morning exercise routine, which usually is cycling and push-ups (used to be jogging but gave myself a flimsy excuse to stop), or even a combination of a series of aerobic activities. But it's not that easy to keep up with it all the time.

To be honest, sometimes I only exercise like thrice a week and not very consistently, whereas exercise requires consistency. Although that's the least number of times I exercise per week with each session being about 10 to 15 minutes in length, mostly cycling.

Like there are lots of apps in stores that help one stay fit, but making out time is usually the issue. Though there are those who don't see any reason to work out and keep fit, especially in these parts where some people believe pot-bellies to be a "sign of good living." Not that flat tummies and six packs are an evidence of being healthy and fit, but it's necessary for people to stay fit.
No offense, pot-bellied guys 😁

It's important to note that being slim doesn't mean one is healthy. In fact, it often times is not the case particularly for persons with eating disorders.

By the way, eating disorders are not really applicable to the Nigerian environment, "according to me" because I do not know, nor have I heard of someone with such disorders around, or at least not as chronic as we see on TV. Naija have you? I mean come on, eating disorder na wia na? For dis naija, and in these times? Abegi! Story!

You know I don't mean any disrespect for those out there who believe they have such, so not to be insensitive, I'll just close that topic.

Back to what I was saying, a person could be on the big side and still be the perfect weight and health. Sometimes due to big bones. It has to do with body proportions.

Speaking of body proportions, do you know your BMI?
Last month I was opportuned to know my Body Mass Index (BMI) and it was interesting to know that it was well within the healthy range. This spurred me to keep working out for at least what little time I could make out, to do so.

It's challenging but it's also worth it. The benefits are really awesome. Living a healthy lifestyle is cool and all, but it's also important to add "Joy" that wells up from within.
Make yourself joyful as you are the only one responsible for doing that. Even the Bible says, "a merry heart does good like medicine." So it's important to be fit Spiritually, Physically and mentally.

One way to do so is to is by spending time in God's Word, meditating and and also spending time with family and friends.
Just a little more is all it takes.

Living healthy and fit in a tech age takes discipline and commitment and with activities in such a fast age that occupy us, we can only do so much with our time. And yes it's "ours" and we all have it in equal quantity to do with it as we please.

You would agree with me that a little extra work, discipline and commitment is what it takes. Despite all the work from 6 to 9, or 9 to 5, or whatever your case maybe, even 3 to 9, we need to make out time for exercise.

So go ahead and make time, set your fitness goals, work at them, keep a merry heart, love God and live life in a tech age to the full.
*Live Your Best Life*😀.

No comments:

Post a Comment